Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Off the top

A blog dedicated to the Source of everything good.

Saturday, November 12, 2005

Experience

We can only possess what we experience
We can only possess what we experience
Truth, to be understood, must be lived
We can only possess what we experience

There is a difference – a qualitative difference –
Between what I know as a fact and what I know as truth
It stands as a great divide to separate my thinking
From when I’m thinking foolishly and when I’ve understood

The facts of theology can be altogether cold
Though true in every way, they alone can’t change me
Truth is creative, transforming and alive
It’s truth that keeps me humble, saved and set free (repeat)

We can only possess what we experience
We can only possess what we experience

Straight-up honesty, that my obligation
That’s the point when I obey the truth without hesitation
When faith gains consent of my stubborn will
And makes the irreversible commitment real
To the Jesus of my journey, to the Christ of crucifixion,
Resurrection and redemption, to the Father of mercy,
To the God of all comfort.
Then and only then, then and only then,
Then and only then truth begins its
Saving and illuminating work within my heart (repeat)
And not a moment sooner, not one moment sooner (repeat)

Chorus

If there be no sympathy,
There can be no understanding
You must surrender to a truth to really understand it

(repeat)

Whoa, look at me, my opinion slipped out
And I’m under obligation without hesitation
To speak the truth in love, speak the truth in love.
Somebody said, “Opinion is the queen of the world.”
Well I believe this goes way beyond opinion
(I said) Crown this one king (come on), crown this one king (come on)
Crown this one king
Baby, where I come from that’s a bold, bold statement
But I ain’t no company man, I ain’t no company man, no I ain’t no company man,
I ain’t no company man.
(You can respect that, can’tcha?)

Chorus


Charlie Peacock, copyright 1990


(Feel free to comment)

2 Comments:

  • I think Charlie is using a special definition of "truth." For instance, is "2 + 2 = 4" a true statement? If so, how is that experiential, in the sense he writes about? I would argue that truth is truth regardless of my experience.

    Now... if Charlie is writing about truth as in the Truth shall set you free... does that change things? Does it matter what I feel about something vs. what I think about it?

    BTW, were you able to get your camera fixed?

    By Blogger Rusty, at 3:07 PM  

  • Hi Rusty,

    I don’t think Charlie was defining truth, I think he was speaking of how it can be known.

    No, I didn’t get my camera fixed. I figured out how to get it to work anyway -- by keeping pressure on the lens shield. Kills my hand!

    By Blogger Bonnie, at 10:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home