Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Off the top

A blog dedicated to the Source of everything good.

Friday, May 12, 2006

On their way out

Posted by Picasa


I took this photo several days ago during the daffodils’ final days of glory. I wanted to capture their form and beauty without a lot of background clutter (which, in our yard, isn’t easy :-) ).

These particular daffys grow in a clump at the foot of a tree, so I was able to shoot from an angle that set them off against the hazy evening sky. The muted lighting helps convey the sense that the flowers are nearing their bloom's end, yet the sky outlines their still-lovely form. The quality and direction of the light gently defines the petals' contours.

The title is a play on words based on the fact that the blooms are getting a tad “crispy,” yet their bearing, as seen from this perspective, gives these "lovely ladies" the appearance of being “dressed” to go out. A metaphor for aging, yes; it concurs with thoughts I’ve had lately regarding the aging of the older women in my family not to mention my own. (my photography helps me come to terms with things :-) ).

I enhanced the contrast and color a bit from the original exposure in order to intensify the yellow color and make the daffys stand out even more from the background.

1 Comments:

  • Hi Barnoe, thanks for visiting.

    The purpose of my blog is stated under “About” at the top of the sidebar.

    It's a place to express my thoughts and interests and to display my photos. I'd say it's "reflective," not "random" - I don’t believe in random ;-)

    By Blogger Bonnie, at 11:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home