Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Off the top

A blog dedicated to the Source of everything good.

Saturday, November 19, 2005

What does blogging mean to you?

OK, let’s get personal.

:-)

I know that the value and purpose (or lack thereof) of blogging has been discussed already many times over. There’s been some helpful dialogue over what constitutes “blogging success.” There’s been discussion of “Why blog?” and “Why I blog.” Some of this discussion has included mention of personal benefits. But I’d like to look even more closely at the personal aspect of blogging – I’d like to know what blogging really means to the persons who blog and who read blogs.

I’m not asking this question for the sake of analysis, definition, or philosophical debate; I want know how blogging affects those who participate. We all know that blogging is many things: a ministry, a means of self-expression, a way to participate in dialogue, a means of connecting with other bloggers and readers, a way to share or solicit information, a place to practice writing and to test-drive ideas, etc. But what I’d like to know is, what is it, to you? Or, what does reading blogs mean to you?

If that’s too personal a question, I understand. I’m not sure I’d answer it myself :-) But to those who are game, thanks in advance for your response!

7 Comments:

  • i blog to express ideas and hear how others might respond. i also like to engage in dialogues and discussions that are elsewhere too messy!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:54 AM  

  • I agree with Chad. I also blog because it gives some structure, and intellectual stimulation, to my life in retirement.

    It turns out that it also lets some people keep up with me.

    I read blogs for the same reasons, and also to keep up with what some other people, that I want to keep up with, are thinking/doing/writing.

    By Blogger Martin LaBar, at 12:34 PM  

  • When I have a thought that I haven’t seen or heard expressed anywhere else, I blog it down. This keeps my head from spinning off of my neck.

    By Blogger David M. Smith, at 4:59 PM  

  • I have a lot of opinions about things, and tend to take a different view in many cases, so blogging gives me a way to express my views. The "wonder-full" surprise is the conversation that happens next, thoughtful comments, aggreeing and disagreeing, often adding to and improving my original thought. I now also love the interaction.

    By Blogger jan@theviewfromher, at 8:20 PM  

  • I blog because it lets me control the topic. In my real life, I usually have to talk about "business": schedules, therapies, financial issues, educational issues, medical things. I also like the social aspect. It is difficult to find Christians who think who also have time to talk, once you're away from a post-secondary setting.

    By Blogger Pilgrim, at 5:27 PM  

  • PS. I also blog to raise disability awareness in the Christian blogosphere. And to raise awareness of Christianity in the disability blogosphere.

    By Blogger Pilgrim, at 10:50 AM  

  • thanks, everyone! I appreciate your input very much.

    By Blogger Bonnie, at 12:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home