Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Off the top

A blog dedicated to the Source of everything good.

Sunday, July 30, 2006

Carry-on luggage: Psalm 150

(Why "carry-on luggage?" Because that's where we put our essentials when we're traveling. So much of blogging and any other Christian endeavor can become about the endeavor itself rather than the God it is supposedly for, at least for me, especially if the endeavor supplants what ought to root it, i.e., a relationship with God through prayer and meditation upon Scripture that is founded upon Christ. We must make sure that we "bring along," and rely on, the essentials of Christian faith when embarking upon any enterprise.

It is simple things that ground me: a Psalm, a great hymn, or other nugget that distills the gospel and draws me back to the Lord's bosom.)

Today I am inspired to simply praise my Father in heaven for everything that He is, much of which I can't begin to fathom. Yet what I can fathom absolutely blows my mind.

It is the summertime, a time when I do by far the most professional activity with my trumpet than any other time. This can become burdensome in many ways, especially if I lose focus on Who I am playing for first and foremost. So, today and always, may I (and you) give praise a la Psalm 150:


Praise the Lord!

Praise God in His sanctuary;
Praise Him in His mighty firmament.
Praise Him for His mighty acts;
Praise Him according to His excellent greatness.

Praise Him with the sound of the trumpet;
Praise Him with the harp and lyre;
Praise Him with timbrel and dance;
Praise Him with stringed instruments and flutes.
Praise Him with loud cymbals;
Praise Him resounding cymbals.

Let everything that has breath praise the Lord.
Praise the Lord!



Note that the instruments to be used are the instruments of the times; there are no separate, "special" instruments set aside with which to praise Him. He gave all the instruments, for everyone's use; all are made according to the created properties that govern musical tonality, tambre, and rhythm.

Also note that we may praise Him with dance. Dance is a very deep-reaching expression (as is music); what better kind of expression to use in praising Him!

And, last but not least, there's no requirement for being exclusively quiet and subdued in praise. How many "quiet" congratulations have you ever witnessed, really? When your team wins, do you whisper, "Yessss!!! __________(insert name of team here) rock!!!"?

No! You make some noise! (A joyful noise :-) )

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home