Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Off the top

A blog dedicated to the Source of everything good.

Sunday, November 21, 2004

"I have no regrets"

I couldn’t help but tear up as I read this article in the Buffalo Sunday News this afternoon. The article, titled “I have no regrets,” recounts the story of a wounded American soldier who not only does not curse his wounds, nor the Iraqi war, nor President Bush, nor anyone else, but says, “I wish I could be out there with my boys.”

Cpl. Mark P. O’Brien lost most of both limbs on the right side of his body in an ambush that occurred while he and his comrades were working to clear a supply line in Ramadi. Of the Iraqi war, he says, "People think we're there (in Iraq) for the oil or something, but we're not. We're fighting for freedom. What we're doing is driving out terrorists. I don't think people really understand that."

Is Cpl. O’Brien deluded? Is he merely the naive, unfortunate puppet of the evil masterminds of the Iraqi war? I think not.

I highly recommend this article. O’Brien’s heroic actions and words speak for themselves.

2 Comments:

  • Hi Paul,

    "Personal reasons" are pretty much why young men and women enlist in the armed services to begin with. As they do their jobs, they are motivated by a belief in their country and a desire to serve it. They gain personal courage from trust in their superiors, their comrades, and their mission.

    BTW, I just recently noticed a comment you left at the end of a thread from last month. You probably left it awhile ago but I went ahead and responded.

    By Blogger Bonnie, at 3:25 PM  

  • But I don't think we should make too much of that.Perhaps not, but there is a historical perspective as well. I've listened to the stories of WWII vets and they speak of the same things. They speak of ancestors who had the same ideals as well. It's been part of the historical vision of the American military.

    By Blogger Bonnie, at 12:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home