Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Off the top

A blog dedicated to the Source of everything good.

Thursday, March 24, 2005

Who are these people?

I just watched most of "Hannity & Colmes" on FoxTV and most of "On the Record" with Greta Van Susteren, something I don't often have opportunity to do.

One of the persons interviewed on Hannity & Colmes was a Holly Phillips, MD, "Internist," I believe. She commented to the effect that Terri was certainly in a PVS and would not feel pain upon death because she couldn't feel pain. (I think that's what she said -- but I don't completely trust my distracted memory at the time. But that doesn't affect my point, which I will reveal shortly.) I don't recall that much in the way of her credentials was given, though there was probably a brief mention of those when she was introduced.

Later, Greta interviewed a neurologist (whose name I forget), who claimed he had 40 years of experience, and that Terri was definitely PVS and could not possibly experience any degree of recovery.

What I would like to know is, who are these two individuals? Who are any of the so-called experts we have heard from on any of the sides of the Terri Schiavo debate? What are their true credentials? It's absolutely impossible to know whom to believe on such extremely limited information as can be gathered from a news show (or any sort of news report).

How can it be possible that these "experts" can contradict each other so thoroughly? They can't all know what they are talking about, or be on the level.

Which is why news reports are so limited in value as sources of information.

I have to keep being reminded of the fact that it is truly difficult, if not impossible, to get accurate information of any depth about a case like Terri Schiavo's. I don't mean to disparage the efforts of those who are trying honestly to get all the facts and report them, bloggers included. But it's true.

I've watched the videos of Terri looking at the balloon. I've seen what appears to be recognition and joyful response to her mother's attention. I've listened to her purposeful-sounding attempts to speak. It is extremely hard for me to believe that she is non-responsive. But...I am a layperson. I have absolutely no expertise in neurology nor in states of consciousness (except my own, and even that's debatable). I must rely on the opinions of those who appear to have the requisite expertise.

Not that I think this is at the crux of the question of whether or not Terri should be denied sustenance. That would have to do with what her wishes were -- but what a mess the determination of that is at this point. It's clear, though, that the matter is far from clear-cut.

The whole Terri Schiavo matter is just awful. All we can really do is pray for God's mercy. And perhaps not be too quick to accept information as fact or interpret it in a certain way unless we can verify the credibility of doing so beyond a doubt.

1 Comments:

  • Amen to all of this (except that I didn't see the "news" programs you did). Good job.

    By Blogger Martin LaBar, at 5:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home