Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Off the top

A blog dedicated to the Source of everything good.

Thursday, October 20, 2005

Response to Catez Stevens regarding women and the GodBlogCon

Catez Stevens has referenced my most recent post on the question of why there weren’t more women at the GodBlogCon at Allthings2all. She offered commentary and discussion on my post and others and said some valuable things. She asked, however, that comments to her post be limited to answering the question of “what is blogging success.” Therefore, in case anyone has read both her post and mine, I would like to respond in this post, just to make sure things are clear.

Catez, thanks for referencing my post and for the good discussion. I appreciate your thoughts and your challenge of sorts. I did sort of entangle my personal issues with the general issues in the part of my post that you quoted, and didn’t develop some of them as I could have. Let me say that I take full responsibility for my own lack of reaching out, which I know is essential to connecting with people, and therefore fault no one for any lack of readership or connection I may have in the blogosphere due to my own fault. I often wonder, though, whether things would be different if I had a different personality or could overcome my “issues,*”...maybe I’m shooting myself in the foot. Yet I am dependent upon and eternally grateful for those who have found me anyway without face-to-face contact and deem my writing worthwhile, you being one of them :-). (By dependent I mean for any “livelihood” I may have in the blogosphere.)

I do feel that there is a solidarity issue, maybe not for everyone, but I think that whenever a gender-specific subject is brought up, the solidarity issue automatically comes up with it. Perhaps the way the issue was raised at the panel session, i.e., being presented a bit confrontationally, is what caused me to see the specter of feminism lurking. Why did no one suggest a “men in the blogosphere” session at the GodBlogCon? Men have concerns specific to their manhood as related to blogging just as women have concerns as women, whether they relate specifically to gender or have to do with the way one’s gender may relate to external/neutral subjects such as blogging topics.

As I said in my post, it would’ve been nice to have a session to look at some concerns specific to women that hopefully would not have any overtones of being a rally for blogging women, yet I thought there was plenty discussed that applied to both women and men, and for that reason I feel the conference was a success. I came away encouraged and feeling as if maybe my IQ got bumped up a couple points just by being around so many wonderful, engaging people :-).

But, Catez, your point is well taken about having the added perspective that a women could bring to a panel discussion. I agree that it does not have to be about “needs,” and I think that the perception of whether it’s about perspective or needs/concerns may come in large part from the way the issue is broached.

In regards to “chips falling where they may,” my point was that there is only so much I can do to promote myself, and I don’t even do most of what I could do. So, my choice is to either try to do something that goes completely against my nature, or else just be the person I am, faults and all, and let the chips fall where they may.

Concerning bringing kids to conferences, I would not have been able to bring my kids to the GodBlogCon, but if I could’ve, I would’ve been more than willing to pay for child care as I think that would be my responsibility. I know that the Con was not a profitable venture in economic terms (I hope it’s OK to say that) and, for the future, profitability probably needs to be improved. But the fact of the matter is that many many wonderful people gave an awful lot to make this conference happen, and, if anything, attendees should be willing to pay more in the future. That said, I’m sure that future GodBlogCons will benefit from what was learned from the first go around, and future planning will no doubt be more comprehensive. Perhaps it can include some sort of child care. (addendum: the child-care idea originated with Marla Swoffer.)

Regarding asking “why are we blogging and how should we blog,” why is that question any different than asking why there weren’t more women at the GodBlogCon? If people are trying to work it out, why not let them ask the question so as to get the feedback? That’s one example of how we can help one another – if one of us is wondering things or feeling ambivalent or whatever, we can ask the questions and put out the feelers – we can reach out – and hopefully be able to trust that those who love us – our fellow Christian blogging brothers and sisters – will give us the encouragement or food for thought that we need.

On the question of blogging success, I don’t view it as a matter of success or failure, but of stewardship and purpose. I must assess whether the time and effort I spend blogging are responsible and accomplish anything for the Kingdom. I have concluded that making a few really good friends in the blogosphere and getting at least a little readership do make it worthwhile, and the discussion and interaction with readers is valuable, at least for me.

*I treated my insecurities with a bit of hyperbole in my post. I do think that, had I felt I had a good strong presentation/game plan for a “women in the blogosphere” session, I would’ve been able to present it just fine :-).

6 Comments:

  • Hi Bonnie,
    Just some quick replies:
    She asked, however, that comments to her post be limited to answering the question of "what is blogging success."

    I did focus on that but I didn't ask comments only be limited to that. Perhaps you picked up on my emphasis there - I did emphasise it because for me it was the underlying question. I was also keeping it away from a particular panel at the conference. I didn't intend to limit it though but was also aware that I didn't want the comments to become abot the organisers - my post wasn't meant to be about them or the conference just gone but a more general discussion.

    Perhaps the way the issue was raised at the panel session, i.e., being presented a bit confrontationally, is what caused me to see the specter of feminism lurking.

    I picked that up in your previous post and can understand where you are coming from there. My post was meant to get off that particular event though - and onto more general questions. So we can discuss some things without it being pointed at particular people.

    Why did no one suggest a "men in the blogosphere" session at the GodBlogCon?

    I guess they didn't want one Bonnie. But they could have one - they could have a mens issues aggregator if they wanted too. Anyway - I think you may still be referring about what happened during one panel? - my post wasn't specifically saying there should be a women in blogging session (although the guys organising this first conference proposed one and I wouldn't oppose it as I explained in my post). But to be honest I've heard this argument so many times in different contexts - we have ladies bible studies, or should we not unless the men have one too even if they don't want one? If I have lunch with some professional colleagues who are women should I make sure the male colleagues have a lunch arranged too? My point is - having a session/bible study/lunch for ladies doesn't stop guys geting together either. But the main part of my post wasn't looking at having specific things for women -but about combined potential with both genders. Nevertheless - women like to get together - we just do. Nothing wrong with that - been going on for centuries.

    yet I thought there was plenty discussed that applied to both women and men, and for that reason I feel the conference was a success.

    I'm sure it was a success Bonnie. My post is meant to move on from the conference - it's more a look at what might be added next time. Which may be a bit difficualt for some-one who was there as I'm sure you gained a lot and are still thinking about it. But my post wsn't meant to be so much a critique of the conference that was - more a look at what might be added.

    The childcare issue was raised by Marla - and I think is worth exploring. Maybe you could note in my post that I was quoting Marla? It currently reads like it was my idea - which it isn't. As I said, for those of us thousands of miles away the travel costs alone are enough. There are ideas that could be explored though - Marla mentioned volunteers too I think. I put the idea of donations out there. But to be honest I don't know - which is why I'm glad I'm not an organiser!

    Regarding asking "why are we blogging and how should we blog," why is that question any different than asking why there weren’t more women at the GodBlogCon?

    Bonnie when I talked about that I referred to posts I've seen in the blogosphere - not the conference. I've seen posts like that long before the conference and posts like that since. I was not thinking "conference" in my head on that.
    It's very different from discussing the value of having more women at a conference. It's my "job" to read posts for BlogWatch - and I surfed about before that anyway. It amazes me that some people get into this whole angst type thing over why they are blogging - and I just think well if you don't have some idea why did you start a blog. Certainly we develop and explore - but sometimes the self-reference goes on and on with bloggging. I am thinking you have taken my post as a criticism of the conference - yet what I clearly say in it is that I was thinking generally - I wanted to lift it ouf of the recent conference and look not only at ideas for future conferences but in general terms. In general terms - if some-one starts a blog they must have a reason why. And what was their reason? Why are they asking in a post why they are blogging? Or how they should?
    Blogging is not church - it's the internet. I bring who I am to the computer with some idea of why I am writing. It seem weird to me that people create blogs and then don't know why.

    For me it's not how shall "we" blog. I write on my blog - which I started for certain reasons.

    All of that is a totally different issue to discussing how women can also contribute to future conferences and offer something. A conference is not a blog - it's face-to-face - and I'm sure having been there you appreciated the difference that has.

    I will put a trackback through for you. On my sidebar under tech resources there are links to Wizbang and Simpletracks which Blogger users can use to send trackbacks. I use them too when Haloscan plays up sometimes. They are quite good - work fine.

    God bless Bonnie - ejoyed reading your response. You are some-one I would like to meet in the future if God is willing. Maybe we could have lunch. (the guys can have lunch too). Grin.

    By Blogger Catez, at 3:26 AM  

  • The trouble with commenting is that sometimes I miss a really good point in the post. Like this:

    I agree that it does not have to be about "needs," and I think that the perception of whether it’s about perspective or needs/concerns may come in large part from the way the issue is broached.

    True!

    On another note - I have appreciated your writing for some time Bonnie - and have been challenged sometimes. This is what I love about blogs - having access to people's ideas from around the globe that I would not get otherwise. I understand being reticent about leading a session - it's different to sitting tapping keys at a computer. I don't mind talking pulicly (oh alright - I don't mind talking period). But I know some people are reticent. Having said that - I expect you would be very good if you did have something planned to talk on.

    By Blogger Catez, at 3:51 AM  

  • Hi, Bonnie. I followed Catez over. I appreciate the points you made here. I'm wondering if you might clarify one thing for me. You wrote:

    "I know that the Con was not a profitable venture in economic terms (I hope it’s OK to say that) and, for the future, profitability probably needs to be improved. But the fact of the matter is that many many wonderful people gave an awful lot to make this conference happen, and, if anything, attendees should be willing to pay more in the future."

    Where would these profits go? GodBlogCon isn't a business or non-profit organization, correct? Once expenses are met, what would be done with any surplus money?

    I'm sure there's something I'm unaware of, so I'm hoping you can fill me in.

    Thanks

    By Blogger Carol, at 6:22 PM  

  • Hi Carol, I'm sorry, my words were misleading. I meant that the Con lost money. Didn't even come close to breaking even.

    By Blogger Bonnie, at 7:32 PM  

  • Hi Catez, thanks for taking the time to respond. It is the discussion and dialogue, after all (of the “live” variety, a la Dr. John Mark Reynolds), that are great values of blogging :-).

    Please know that I wasn’t taking your comments as criticism of the GodBlogcon. I was merely referencing things from the conference, as you did in your post, and wanted to make sure I was understood. My question as to why there was no session specifically for men was meant to be rhetorical; it was a way of questioning the need for any gender-specific emphasis so as to keep the focus on unity in Christ. This is not, of course, to deny the value of gender perspective, as I’ve said, and you’ve said. I’m all for the combined potential of both genders, as you put it so well.

    On comparing the question, “why do we blog,” with “why weren’t there more women at the conference,” I was wondering why one question is more valid than the other. I understand what you are saying about people knowing or not knowing what they are doing, but I guess I’m suggesting that the two questions are similar, i.e., there may be valid concerns behind them that ought to be taken seriously. At the same time there may be questionable elements involved which may require pointing out, with an attitude of grace.

    Catez, I would love to meet you face-to-face sometime, and do lunch...let’s plan on it! :-).

    P.S. Thanks for the trackbacks. I need to get in the habit of using them, I know (another one of my “issues” ;-) ).

    By Blogger Bonnie, at 9:14 PM  

  • Hi Bonnie - thanks for that reply. It clarifed some of your points for me. I still differ a little (just a weeny bit) on a couple of things - which is fine. No-one completely agrees on everything. It's unfortunate the Con lost money - I agree that will be something to be mindful of in the future too. On lunch - I don't know what the conference venue is like - but personally I love having a picnic style lunch on a fine day, under some trees at a beach or in a park. I'm pretty partial to cafes too.
    God bless.

    By Blogger Catez, at 7:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home