Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Off the top

A blog dedicated to the Source of everything good.

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Crowned with lovingkindness and compassion

Another Psalm for Lent.


Bless the Lord, O my soul;
And all that is within me, bless His holy name.
Bless the Lord, O my soul;
And forget none of His benefits;
Who pardons all your iniquities;
Who heals all your diseases;
Who redeems your life from the pit;
Who crowns you with lovingkindness and compassion;
Who satisfies your years with good things,
So that your youth is renewed like the eagle.

The Lord performs righteous deeds,
And judgments for all who are oppressed.
He made known His way to Moses,
His acts to the sons of Israel.
The Lord is compassionate and gracious,
Slow to anger and abounding in lovingkindness.
He will not always strive with us;
Nor will He keep His anger forever.
He has not dealt with us according to our sins,
Nor rewarded us according to our iniquities.
For as high as the heavens are above the earth,
So great is His lovingkindness toward those who fear Him.
As far as the east is from the west,
So far has He removed our transgressions from us.
Just as a father has compassion on his children,
So the Lord has compassion on those who fear Him.
For He Himself knows our frame;
He is mindful that we are but dust.

As for man, his days are like grass;
As a flower of the field, so he flourishes.
When the wind has passed over it, it is no more;
And its place acknowledges it no longer.
But the lovingkindness of the Lord is from everlasting to everlasting on those who fear Him,
And His righteousness to children’s children,
To those who keep His covenant,
And who remember His precepts to do them.

The Lord has established His throne in the heavens;
And His sovereignty rules over all.
Bless the Lord, you His angels,
Mighty in strength, who perform His word,
Obeying the voice of His word!
Bless the Lord, all you His hosts,
You who serve Him, doing His will.
Bless the Lord, all you works of His,
In all places of His dominion;
Bless the Lord, O my soul!

Psalm 103, NASB


We are but dust; our days are like grass. We are sinful and iniquitous. Yet the Lord’s lovingkindness is from everlasting to everlasting to those who fear Him, who keep His covenant, and remember His precepts to do them. He crowns us with lovingkindness and compassion. Bless His holy name!

I have been in situations in which I felt very unsure of myself, very aware of my faults and weaknesses. I have been in (many) situations in which I did or said something wrongful to someone. When this happens (and I am aware of it), I feel quite low. Indeed, our sin and weakness puts us rather low in status when measured according to righteousness or worthiness of esteem. Yet in some of these situations, I have been shown mercy and esteem in spite of myself. I have been treated with respect and dignity.

The effect: I was able to comprehend my redemption. I felt “crowned” with lovingkindness and compassion!

I confess that I spend most of my life more aware of my faults than my strengths. I am pretty good at turning even my strengths into faults. But when I am aware of and am experiencing the status of being crowned with mercy and lovingkindness, I am able to see myself in a different light. I don’t forget about my faults, but I apprehend the fact that they are pardonable, even redeemable. I apprehend the fact that I am redeemable, in spite of my ever-present sinfulness. I become able to see that my strengths and weaknesses can and do have a good purpose, in His everlasting and ever-righteous economy.

Bless His holy name!

2 Comments:

  • Slow to anger and abounding in lovingkindness

    You beauty! I've been thinking/meditating on love for a while now. I have my ties of doing that. You said soem things here that I have been trying to put into words for myself, such as:
    Yet in some of these situations, I have been shown mercy and esteem in spite of myself

    and... But when I am aware of and am experiencing the status of being crowned with mercy and lovingkindness, I am able to see myself in a different light.

    In a nutshell! Thankyou.

    By Blogger Catez, at 1:09 AM  

  • As usual I come with my typos (but crowned with lovingkindness).
    It's meant to say "I have my times of doing that".

    By Blogger Catez, at 1:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home