Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Off the top

A blog dedicated to the Source of everything good.

Friday, March 17, 2006

How much?

How much of what we think (or say) we are doing in the name of the Lord are we really doing from either a mistaken sense of calling or justification of sin?

(I could get into this much deeper but won’t for the present; I’m too tired and have other things to tend to. Just want to throw it out there, for discussion or introspection, or both, or neither.)

How many deeds have mixed impetus, i.e., spring from pure and impure motives operative at the same time? (Probably just about all of them!) What do we justify as sacrifice for a greater cause that we ought rather tend, sacrificing the cause instead? What do we foster that we ought to walk away from? What do we walk away from that we ought to foster?

How do we decide?

Do we measure the effect on others? When does effect on others matter, and when doesn’t it? How do we decide when loyalty is due? How do we decide which causes or people to honor, and which to forsake?

How much of ourselves are we willing to put into things, or preserve from certain things, and at what cost?

(Am I asking too many questions? :-) )

7 Comments:

  • You don't want much, do you?

    Too much, to be as brief as possible, but not very helpful.

    Going by biblical examples (especially David) our life as a child of God should include a frequent examination of our motives, with help from scripture, the Holy Spirit, our conscience, and other believers. Our aim should be perfection of motive.

    That's a start, I guess.

    There have probably been spiritual biographies written answering your questions, but none springs to mind now.

    By Blogger Martin LaBar, at 4:04 PM  

  • "Too much" was meant to be an answer to your first question. Sorry if I was unclear.

    By Blogger Martin LaBar, at 6:05 PM  

  • Thanks, Martin, that's a good start! It's the heart of what I was asking.

    Motives can be very deceptive, often deceiving us ourselves so that we don't recognize the evil in our own hearts. "The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure; who can understand it?" (Jer. 17:9)

    As long as we are in this life and must still live with our humanness, there will be a conflict between our sinful hearts (note that it doesn't say minds :-) ) and the Spirit that also dwells in us. That's why, as a guide to determining our words and actions, the spirit of the law is more important than the letter of the law. (Matt. 5:17-48, 12:1-12, Rom. 13:8-10)

    (Hey, maybe I'm developing another post...thanks!)

    By Blogger Bonnie, at 11:08 PM  

  • I can't answer all those. I understand the flow of the questions I think. For yself, I've found that when I am asking myself those sort of questions in relation to something it's because I know - I've had my conscience pricked or even been jolted - and I know but I'm adjusting to kowing, so I ask those questions.

    I'm not sure if that has any relevance to your post but it is my experience. And I'm aware that God sees what I don't in my own heart so it's not like I have "arrived" with it. I'm in process. I do know that the calling can be sure but the expression of it can be premature sometimes, or overdone.

    Is any of that relevant for what you posted?

    By Blogger Catez, at 2:32 AM  

  • Also,
    "That's why, as a guide to determining our words and actions, the spirit of the law is more important than the letter of the law."

    This has been much on my heart.

    By Blogger Catez, at 2:35 AM  

  • oops, in my first comment it's meant to say "for myself" not "for yself". I am the queen of typos if nothing else.

    By Blogger Catez, at 2:36 AM  

  • Yes, Catez, it's certainly relevant. Conscience (as informed by the Holy Spirit) definitely plays a role, as does close study of Scripture.

    I've always been deeply interested in what makes people tick. I suppose one could say it's an interest in psychology, but it really goes beyond that to the "psychic" or spiritual (not the "wierd," new-age stuff! I mean spiritual reality and the depths of who we are as people). The spiritual battle -- Ephesians 6:12.

    I believe that the types of questions I'm asking here are ones we all need to be asking ourselves in honesty before God, and then confronting and dealing with the answers we come up with. This to me is more important than having proper theology -- this is proper theology -- proper living theology! It's about our accountability to God.

    By Blogger Bonnie, at 10:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home