Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Off the top

A blog dedicated to the Source of everything good.

Sunday, March 27, 2005

Music for Easter

This morning I had the honor of playing trumpet alongside my husband and seven other brass players plus percussionist at a large mainline church (not my own). Though I missed sharing Easter with my home church family, I am thankful that we could celebrate with extended family and that my husband and I could offer our musicianship to the glory of God.

We actually worshiped with family on Holy Saturday at a non-denominational church. The sincerity, fervency, and simpleness of the worship there posed quite a contrast to the worship in which we participated this morning, yet elements from both combined to make our weekend a nicely rounded-out Resurrection tribute.

For the services this morning, the musicians were supposed to wear black suit or long black dress. Well, I couldn’t do it – not on Easter Sunday! Since I was the only female musician (as a brass player, I’m used to it :-) ), I wore purple instead.

The prelude music was Poeme Heroique (two links -- the first from the end of the piece, the second from near the beginning) by Marcel Dupre, which certainly is “heroic” both in sound and in demand on the brass players. The offertory was John Rutter’s Te Deum.

I wasn’t, and still am not, sure what I think of this piece. During the rehearsal on Saturday I felt an inward reaction against what I perceived as a mere “performance” of the piece by the choir (as opposed to a worship offering), and I reflected on that plus what I’ve heard about Rutter. Though he's written much sacred music, he apparently is not a Christian believer. I started to not feel good about being a part of the performance. But then this morning, during the services, the piece seemed different...much more worshipful. I believe that God can and did use Rutter’s music, and the “performance,” as He can use any music – for His purposes and blessings.

It’s always wonderful to play great hymns such as “Jesus Christ is Risen Today”, “O Sons and Daughters, Let us Sing”, and “Thine is the Glory.” But the best part was the Hallelujah Chorus at the end of the service. It was my privilege and joy to play the “famous” first trumpet part.

I wish all of you a blessed Easter and a full appreciation of the meaning of the resurrection.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home